Monday, December 20, 2010

Jalapeno Chicken Pot Pie and Dill/Ricotta Bread


We had roasted chicken last night served with dill/ricotta bread. Most dill bread recipes call for cottage cheese, but we never have any in our house. So, after discussing the different options with one of my very knowledgeable friends, I settled on sour cream ---- and then I found out I didn't have any sour cream left. So, I went with plan B; ricotta. Since we had leftover chicken, I made chicken pot pie for lunch the next day. It was phenomenal, amazing, unbelievable, yummy, heavenly, almost effortless.... ok ok that's enough, I know. :)



Dill and Ricotta Bread Recipe:
Serving Size = 1/5 lb loaf
  • 2/3 cup warm water
  • 2/3 cup ricotta
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon dill seed (I use 1/2 tablespoon dill weed, 1/2 tablespoon dill seed but you could just use all dill seed or all dill weed)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (I used bread machine yeast)
  1. Add the ingredients in the order recommended for your bread machine. Select basic bread cycle, 1.5 lb loaf, and I went with a medium crust color.

The Cookbook - The Whole Foods Market Cookbook
You know it. I've mentioned it many times already. It rocks. Brenda recommended it on her blog and I immediately bought it, because I'm obsessed with cookbooks. Anyway, I just needed a pie crust recipe so I went with this one because it called for some wheat flour. I bought wheat a long time ago and rarely use it, so this seemed like a good match. I cut everything down a third since I'm not feeding an army. It was the perfect amount for 2 adults and one petit bebe of cuteness.

The Cookbook.
The crust.
Jalapeno, garlic, leek and carrots.
Starting liquid --- let thicken.
Once the sauce thickens, remove from heat and add the peas.
Pour into a baking dish or ramekin.
Why did I make random cuts as if I were about to bake a potato?
Je ne sais pas. It's a mystery to me.
Jalapeno Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
Serving Size = 2 - 3

The Crust (only on top, no crust on the bottom)
Original Recipe by: Petusevsky, The Whole Foods Market Cookbook, p. 390
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (I used 1/3 cup)
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (1/2 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (a pinch)
  • 1/2 lb or 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold (2/3 of a stick or 6 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup ice water (1/5 cup, or 3 - 4 tablespoons. Add 3 and if it doesn't come together in a ball, add 1 more)
  • (Original recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of sugar, but I skipped it since this is savory)
The Filling:
  • 1 leek, chopped small
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 1/2 cup or so of carrots, cut into small pieces (about equal portions carrots and leeks)
  • 1/2 cup or so of canned or frozen peas
  • 1 1/2 chicken breasts and 1 wing, skin and bones removed (2 breasts would be fine, even 1, whatever you have left)
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon coriander
  • 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 - 1/2 stick of butter and some oil
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
The Crust
  1. Start with the crust since it has to chill in the refrigerator.  In a food processor, blend the flours and salt. Chop the butter into small pieces, and add to the flour. Pulse until a fine meal is achieved. Slowly add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the mixture pulls together to form a ball. 
  2. Remove from processor, and place on plastic wrap, flattening it out (quickly) to form a small circle so it's easier to roll out later. Wrap up and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour (1 hour for me).
The Filling
  1. Add some oil to a medium/large stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic, jalapeno, leek and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes. 
  2. Push the veggies to one side of the pot and add the butter to the empty side. Let it melt and then add the flour, stirring. It should not lump up, but if it does feel free to add a touch of oil. Stir to cook the flour a bit and then mix with the veggies. 
  3. Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, chunks of chicken, thyme, salt/pepper, nutmeg and coriander. Mix well. Let the sauce thicken to desired consistency. When done, remove from heat, add the peas and gently stir.
  4. Pour into a glass baking dish, or individual ramekins. My glass baking dish was about 9x9 inches, but 8x8 inches would work as well, and probably better.
Finish
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. After the filling is done and poured into the baking dish, roll out the dough (quickly) so that it's 1 1/2 inches or so larger around the edges of the dish. I don't trim the crust. I like the extra because it crisps up a bit more while cooking.
  3. Cut a few slits into the crust. Cut up 1 tablespoon of butter and dab across the top. Again, working quickly. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet to catch spills and bake for 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

5 comments:

Post a Comment