Sunday, December 26, 2010

Czechoslovakian Cookies (Jam Cookies)


I usually make these cookies for family get-togethers. I've probably been making them the same way for 6 years or more. I didn't change one thing in this recipe because it is simple and perfect. You can use any jam you want --- strawberry is my second favorite. I went a little heavy with the jam this time around, so it made cooking them more of a challenge than usual. But they were still yummy and I wish I had some now. Unfortunately they are all at my parent's house. Drat!! :) 

Mix butter and sugar until fluffy. 
Add the flour and walnuts. 
Spread half of the dough in an 8x8-inch pan. 
Add the jam.
Place the rest of the dough on top and sprinkle with walnuts.
Remove from oven and let cool.

Czechoslovakian Cookies
Serving Size = Roughly 12 squares
  • 1/2 lb butter (I use unsalted)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup raspberry jam (I added more, about 1 cup -- both work)
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped (reserve some for top of cookies, about 1/4 cup)
  1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
  2. Cream the butter and add the sugar gradually until light and fluffy. I used my stand mixer.
  3. Add the yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
  4. Slowly add the flour and fold in the chopped nuts.
  5. Spread half of the dough into a greased 8x8-inch pan. Spread on the raspberry jam and then spread the remaining dough across the top. I pat the dough out to fit the pan and then I lay it over the top. Trying to spread the dough on top of the jam is too messy.
  6. Sprinkle on the reserved walnuts.
  7. Bake for 1 hour (I needed an additional 10-15 minutes). It should be golden brown across the top. The middle shouldn't be doughy. Cool and cut into bars or squares (cut around the edges first though).

Linking to: The Twelve Days of Bloggie-mas