Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Creamy Leek and Potato Soup


I love making soup. It's quick, usually foolproof, very cheap and comforting on cold days. Most leek and potato soup recipes that I find lack flavor. They normally contain cream, chicken stock, leeks and potatoes --- no herbs or spices. So, I decided to add what I thought would work well. Thyme and nutmeg go nicely with potatoes. Ginger and red pepper flakes give it a bit of heat. My foot is regretting the ginger addition though. The glass ginger bottle fell from the over-packed cabinet onto my foot. After rolling around on the floor, I recovered and continued to cook dinner standing on one foot. Of course, my daughter was hanging from my shirt saying, "mama mama mama." Making dinner on one foot while holding a toddler was a workout. Today, my husband and I agreed to install a spice rack. Woohoo!


Creamy Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
Serving Size = 2
  • 1 leek, chopped into small pieces (I only had 1, but 2 would be better)
  • 3 small potatoes, chopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
  • Oil
*Note: The red pepper flakes are noticeable in this dish. If you do not like heat, then leave them out.
  1. In a medium stockpot, heat the butter and a touch of oil over medium heat. Add the leek and the potatoes, let them cook until they soften a bit. 
  2. Add the chicken stock, salt/pepper, thyme, flakes, nutmeg and ginger and let everything cook together for about 20 minutes. 
  3. Make sure the potatoes are cooked completely through, then transfer the soup to a blender and puree.
  4. Pour back into the stockpot and add the cream, stir and let everything cook together for about 5 minutes.
Linking to: Real Food Deals

3 comments:

Alea Milham said...

If anyone desserves a spice rack it is you! You will make good use of it, I'm sure. Cooking with children is always an adventure. My son pulled out the step stool and said he was "ready to recipe". Then he made off with my pot holders so he could play "baseball" with the limes. :) Thankfully my recipe turned out!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi :) Just popping over from Alea's real food link up and I'm so happy you shared about your soup! I have TONS of leeks in the garden and I was trying to figure out how in the world I was going to use them all up and your soup will be a perfect way *grin*. Thanks for sharing :)

maria said...

I love leeks! Sometimes I use it instead of onions. I became a follower to your blog. Thank you..

Post a Comment