Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eggplant and Cheese Casserole (Bathinjan ma' Jiben)


I've been trying to reduce the meat in our diet in order to save some money. With all of the cookbooks I own, and all of the free recipes available online, I'm sure I can keep this interesting. :) Last night, I decided to go with eggplant and cheese casserole. My concern was that it would taste very eggy, but the egg didn't play a leading role. The eggplant, herbs and spices come through the most. I could see this making a great side dish, but it's so packed full of flavor and veggies that I went ahead and made it the main course. I served it with a salad that was also loaded with veggies and fresh baked French bread. 

The cookbook

I've made two recipes from this book and both turned out very well. The recipes come from North Africa and the Middle East. What I love about this cookbook is it lists the country each dish is from. Each recipe also includes the Arabic title. Eggplant and cheese casserole is bathinjan ma ' Jiben....
Bathinjan = Eggplant
ma' = With
Jiben = Cheese

Finely chop the onion and parsley.
Mix the allspice, oregano and sage with the eggs and onion.
Notice the blur? That's my toddler's fingerprint smudge.
Sprinkle on the cheese.
And then the parsley.
Pour on the egg mixture and bake.

Eggplant and Cheese Casserole (Bathinjan ma' Jiben) Recipe
Common In: Syria and Lebanon
Serving Size = 4-6
Original Recipe By: H. Salloum and J. Peters (2007). From the Land of Figs and Olives, p 189.
  • 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (I didn't peel)
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil (Skipped)
  • 1 can tomatoes (19oz or 540ml)
  • 1/4 lb feta or other white cheese, very thinly sliced (I used gouda and grated it)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (I didn't have any)
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped (I used 1 small onion)
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon sage
*Note: I used heaping 1/4 teaspoons. Next time, I might use 1/2 teaspoon each.
  1. Place the eggplant slices in a strainer, salt, and place a heavy object on them to weigh them down (such as a plate with 2 canned goods on top) and leave for 45 minutes to drain.
  2. In a frying pan, heat the oil; then saute the eggplant slices over a moderately high heat until they turn golden brown. Remove the slices from the oil and place in a strainer or on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
  3. *Note: I skipped the frying. Instead, I brushed oil on one side of each eggplant slice and placed approximately 5 inches from the broiler until lightly browned and softened. Then I flipped them over, brushed with oil and broiled again.
  4. Preheat the oven to 300F.
  5. Place the eggplant slices in a casserole dish (make sure it's a little on the small side so that the eggplant overlap slightly). Cover evenly with tomatoes, cheese, parsley, and cilantro, in that order. 
  6. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, onion, salt/pepper, allspice, oregano and sage. Pour evenly over the eggplant mixture.
  7. Cover the casserole and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
  8. Serve either hot or cold (I cannot imagine eating this cold).

Bread Machine French Bread Recipe
Loaf Size = 1lb
Original Recipe from: Cook's Essentials
  • 3/4 cup of warm water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/4 cups bread flour (I use unbleached)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast -or-
    • 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast -or-
    • 1 teaspoon of bread machine yeast (I used this one)
  1. Place all of the ingredients into the bread machine, in the order recommended for your bread machine. I selected a light crust color.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsa, this sounds delicious and healthy! I absolutely love making foods from all over the world. It's so much fun and interesting to learn about the food of other cultures. I haven't made French bread in my bread machine yet but what an easy way to make it. Hope you're enjoying your day!

Anonymous said...

I love eggplant but really don't know what to do with it. I love cheese in anything, so that recipe sounds really good. I copied it so when I see a good eggplant at the grocery store, maybe I can make this sometime.

kitchen flavours said...

I love eggplants! Thanks for sharing this. Looks like you have found a good book. It's great when we found a book that really delivers!

Alea Milham said...

I love eggplant and this looks like a wonderful way to prepare it. I make a eggplant and rice casserole that has some of the same flavors and we love it so I think this will be a hit with my family.

Christy said...

I am a huge fan of eggplant casserole dishes, there is just something about them that I love. I like it that you broil it instead of fry - not that I mind frying I just think the texture sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Anonymous said...

Elsa, just coming back to say thank you so much for sharing this dish with Cookbook Sundays! Have a great week!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Elsa this looks like a great dish - I love eggplant and I'm always looking for new ways to use it. I would definitely eat this as a main course. My partner won't touch the stuff, so I like dishes like this that I can make and reheat for myself for a couple of days and give him a piece of meat instead. I've also never tried making French Bread in my bread machine - that's a new one to try.
Sue

Unknown said...

thiet ke noi that nhà chung cư căn nhà ngày nay đang là phong trào phát triển bậc nhất của các doanh nghiệp sắp đặt đồ dùng trong nhà tại các thành phố lớn. Mật độ dân số tăng cao đồng thời khoảng không đất ngày càng thu hẹp việc vững mạnh các ngôi nhà ngày nay đang góp phần thúc đẩy hàng loạt ngành xếp đặt trang tri noi that trọn gói hoặc thiet ke noi that phong khach , noi that phong ngu , noi that nha bep , noi that phong an, noi that van phong ... Chính vì vậy đời sống dân cư ngày một được nâng cao và nhu cầu sống cũng vậy người dân nhất thiết một cuôc đời thư thái, tiện ích ngay trong trung tâm thành phố tuy nhiên song song khoảng trống xanh là điều cần phải có giả dụ chủ căn nhà muốn có sức khỏe tốt.

Unknown said...

canada goose outlet
adidas outlet
nike air more money
underarmour shoes
adidas nmd shoes
ysl handbags
los angeles dodgers jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet
pandora charms
cc20181108

Anonymous said...

off white clothing
kd 12
off white t shirt
supreme
kyrie 7

Post a Comment