Sunday, September 12, 2010

North African Carrot Salad

I've made this several times in the past. Most recipes call for some vinegar and oil, but I didn't really want vinegar in my food last night. I kept the spices at a minimum because I wanted the cilantro and caraway seeds to shine through. If you want a little more spice, add a tiny bit of ginger and some cayenne pepper. Also, when retrieving the carrots from the fridge, watch out for tiny toddlers that see the opportunity to smash your head with the refrigerator door. Yes, your head will actually be stuck in the fridge, held hostage by a toddler. It is both painful and hilarious. Laugh? Cry? Both?


Recipe
  • 1/2 lb of carrots (I use the baby ones)
  • Sprinkle of caraway seeds (about a 1/4 teaspoon of less, they are strong)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped or minced
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • About 1 tablespoon of cilantro, roughly chopped
  • About 1 tablespoon of parsley, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
  • S/P

Serving Size - 2


Boil, or steam the carrots until tender. Roughly mash the carrots in a bowl and toss in the paprika, s/p and herbs. Melt butter and garlic in a pan until fragrant, pour over the carrots, mix. Sprinkle the caraway seeds over the top, mix and serve. I actually pour the seeds into my hands and break them a bit before I add them to the carrots. 

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I love cooked carrots! I am growing red, purple, white, and of course orange carrots. I can already picture this colorful dish onthe table!

Elsa said...

This dish would look GREAT with different colors of carrots!

Post a Comment