Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sticky Date Popcorn


While I was standing in the kitchen yesterday, trying to think of something new to do with popcorn, I had a brilliant idea. Right next to my blender was a box of Medjool dates. Date popcorn?? I wasn't sure how to go about making it, so I decided to google it because, let's face it, almost every recipe has already been created. And there it was! I found the recipe at a Colourful Palate and decided to give it a try.

First, I want to discuss the dates and then we'll jump right in to the awesomeness of the popcorn. :) When we buy dates, we usually search for Medjool dates (brand we usually find: SunPalm Fancy California Medjool Dates). They are huge, super sweet, have pits, and are very soft and moist. If you compare them to the bag of Dole dates, you will see a big difference. The Dole dates are about half the size, they do not have pits, and they are sometimes tough or a little dry. I like to use the Dole dates in baking because they're cheap. The Medjool dates I usually eat as is, or use if they are a stand out ingredient that I simply cannot cheap out on. If you use the Dole dates, and I'm sure they would work just fine, you might need to add a few extra and soak them in water.

As for the popcorn, it is very similar to caramel corn in terms of sugar, but it does not harden and you must eat it right after making it. I thought it would turn into a soggy mess after a few minutes, but it didn't. It holds up very well actually. I would still recommend eating it right after making it, but you won't need to inhale it at warp speed to avoid a soggy mess. I also replaced the oil with butter, but feel free to use either. The oil might be better, I'm not sure. But if you use oil make sure you use something flavorless. Also, next time I make this I will see if I can add in 2 extra cups of popped popcorn. I'm hoping I can stretch a buck further.

Popcorn
The blended sauce
Eat right away
Sticky Date Popcorn
Serving Size = 9 cups (might be able to add 2 extra cups of popcorn though)
Original Recipe: Colourful Palate
  • 9 cups of popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup popcorn kernels)
  • 4 - 5 dates, pitted (preferably good quality Medjool dates)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (I used butter but oil would probably be better and if you don't have grapeseed, then any flavorless oil should work... actually, almond oil might be good as well)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
(If using low quality dates, and they appear dry, you might want to soak them in water for an hour or so, but I didn't need to do this)
  1. Have popcorn already popped and ready to go. Heat the honey, butter or oil, until heated through and very runny. Immediately pour into a blender (I have a Vitamix) and add the dates and honey. Blend well. Pour over popcorn, mix well (with hands works the best) immediately and serve. Eat right away.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love dates, and I too buy the Medjool just to snack on. I love date bread, date cookies, etc. Never thought of date popcorn, what a great idea!

Torviewtoronto said...

healthy looks fabulous

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

Like Brenda, I love dates and snack on Medjool dates very regularly. I never thought of date popcorn either, but it sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe. By the way, I've followed you on the new Linky Followers. I'm on there too - you can find my widget on my main blog page if you want to follow me back :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, this looks good -- and such a *natural* way to flavor popcorn! Saw you through a link from the 21st Century Housewife!

Alea Milham said...

I love that this is sweetened with honey and dates - so much better than white sugar. I appreciated your explanation of dates and look forward to trying Medjool Dates.

i♥pinkc00kies said...

oooooh love!!! :)

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

It's always good to eat popcorn with different flavor other than butter. :D

Dude for Food said...

Great idea on popcorn, looks delicious!

cheerful said...

i love popcorn but with a twist and interesting deliciously added flavor will be more lovely. thanks for sharing. visiting from FTF, hope to see you around. thanks and have a great week. :)

France@beyondthepeel said...

Ok Elsa, I have to say. I think this is brilliant. It basically toffee popcorn made into a whole food snack. I really hope you'll come share this at Whole Food Wednesday this week. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. I love popcorn...love popcorn. My husband used to ask me if that's what I had for dinner when he was out of town because, sometimes I would:)

anne said...

Brilliant idea can i have a taste on the popcorn :) visiting from FTF here's mine thanks Sahm’s Dining Diary

Jessica said...

that looks delightful Sis :-) my little girl loves popcorn. Thank you for the recipe too :-) Visiting from FTF and Food Friday, hope that you can return the visit too.

http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/my-own-version-of-salad/

Unknown said...

thnaks for the recipe.
see http://beyondtodaystechnology.blogspot.com/

daniellaprice30 said...

This is a different twist that you can add to popcorn. This is my favorite snack and I even thought of buying popcorn machines for sale to create my own popcorn anytime.

Anonymous said...

Désagréablement,flottant année sauf ecchymose au lieu de courant comment hacker un
compte facebook 2013. précéder sur vous-m�me pirater un compte
facebook comment faire.

Feel free to surf to my blog :: comment pirater un compte facebook sans Logiciel facilement

wesan michael said...

coach outlet online
nike dunks
vera bradley outlet
air jordan retro
michael kors handbags
tiffany and co outlet online
kobe bryant shoes
cheap jordan shoes
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors outlet online

Post a Comment