Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fresh Peach Cobbler


Yes, yes, I know I said that peach pie was in the future, but the pie decided to become a cobbler because I worked that day. When career woman comes home, she becomes lazy momma. :)

Peach pie is still in the future though. I want to make more pies. I'm determined!!

But for now, we have a delicious, not-too-sweet peach cobbler. It's sweet enough to be dessert and it won't be sour against the ice cream, but it isn't rot-your-teeth sweet. However, if you are not a huge fan of sugar, then you could scale the sugar back a bit. It also depends how ripe your peaches are, for the softer peaches I am freezing for the winter, I would probably scale back on the sugar a bit.

By the way, the dish featured at the top is American hand thrown, hand painted pottery. As you know, I am crazy about pottery and have some from different countries. What I love the most about American pottery is that I can talk with the potter, which is more difficult to do with imported items. I can find out that on such-and-such day that piece was created and then shipped right to me. I love that. I can speak with the person that actually made it. Beyond cool.

Peaches
Dough
Dessert!
Fresh Peach Cobbler
Serving Size = 4
Adapted From
Peach Filling
  • 5 - 8 large fresh peaches (I used 5), peeled, pitted, sliced into wedges
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Dough
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
  3. While that is cooking, combine the flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend the butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the water until just combined.
  4. Remove the peaches from the oven and drop spoonfuls of the dough over the top, spreading it out a bit as you go. Sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown.

7 comments:

Kate said...

I need to make a cobbler. I still have peaches from last summer in the freezer! But weddign planning is getting intense so cooking is being reduced to the uncomplicated dishes.

KB and Whitesnake said...

This looks yummy.

France said...

Beautiful pottery. I love it as well and love collecting beautiful pieces. I probably would scale back the sugar, but only just a little bit:)It looks really good though

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Wow, Elsa this looks delicious!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
This is pure comfort food for me. I looks delicious and is one of my summertime favorites. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
See you soon,
Miz Helen

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much, However I am
going through issues with your RSS. I don't know the reason why I am unable to join it. Is there anybody else having the same RSS issues? Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

My weblog ... ubuntu

Jaxson Henry said...

I was into this issue and tired to tinker around to check if its possible but couldnt get it done. bikers jacket Now that i have seen the way you did it, thanks guys

Post a Comment