Monday, July 11, 2011

Zucchini Fritters


Here are some of the baby names that we (mostly me) are considering. Hubs is fond of one name, more on that in a minute.
  1. Samuel
  2. Everett
  3. Emmet
  4. Owen
But, no matter what new names I find, I always come back to Samuel. This is also hubs favorite too.

Here's why:
  1. Samuel can become Sam or Sami (variety, yay!)
  2. Samuel is an old, classic boy name (yay for me!)
  3. Sami is a name common in North Africa (yay for hubs!)
See the convenience? It fits what we want perfectly (and we've been calling him Sam for a while now too).

I still do not see Samuel as being a North African name. It really leans more towards my culture, even if it can be shortened to fit his --- even the shortened version still fits mine. So the middle name will definitely come from his country.

So in between searching for baby names, gardening (green beans will make an appearance on this blog soon), and battling the heat (I LOVE this hot weather though), I've actually been cooking as well. Surprise surprise! :) I decided to make zucchini fritters since we are now getting tons of zucchini. My key for perfect zucchini fritters is to drain the liquid out of the zucchini with a dish towel, the same as you would with frozen spinach. Once you combine the zucchini, flour and eggs the flavor combos are endless. I love adding fresh herbs and red pepper flakes especially.

It shouldn't be too soupy, but it will not form patties either
Fry in some oil and drain on paper towels

Zucchini Fritters
Serving Size = 2 - 4
*If I were serving these to guests, I would fry one first and check the seasoning.
  • 2 cups grated zucchini (the liquid squeezed out)
  • 2 eggs
  • Roughly 1 teaspoon onion powder (I've replaced with grated or minced onion and it works great too)
  • Roughly 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour (you might be able to get away with less, but this works best for me)
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (to taste)
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  1. Grate the zucchini and place into a clean dish towel, twist and squeeze out the liquid. You don't need to obsess over it, just get most of the liquid out. 
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat (I think mine is a bit over medium, but under medium high). The oil should sizzle if you place flour into it (add enough oil to coat the bottom evenly).
  3. Mix together the zucchini and everything else. With a tablespoon, drop a heaping spoon full of the zucchini mixture into the hot oil and quickly spread out a little. It doesn't need to be perfect.
  4. Cook a few minutes per side. I would guess 2 minutes per side, but keep an eye on it. You want it cooked through and golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Continue until done.
  5. I either serve mine with plain sour cream, or I mix 1/2 cup of sour cream with 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped dill and some salt and pepper.
Bon Appetit!!

Linking to: Hearth and Soul

10 comments:

Alea Milham said...

First, I love the name Samuel!

Your zucchini fritters look fantastic. I like that your recipe uses so little flour - means I can probably get away with easily making these gf by substituting cornstarch. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the hearth and Soul Hop.

Elsa said...

Oh yes, I think it would be easy to sub out (although I've never tried it with cornstarch). You could probably use even less flour in the recipe.

juliecache said...

My grandmother taught me to make these, calling them zucchini patties. We use onion, no cheese, no garlic powder. they never last long when we make them.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious addition of parmesan
these are good for a filling snack looks wonderful

kitchen flavours said...

Your zucchini fritters looks delicious, and very addictive!
Me and my hubby are always fickel minded when it comes to choosing names for our kids. Finally, he decided the name for my daughter and me for my son! hehehe!

Jason@JLHealth said...

Very good way to use the endless zucchini from the garden! Looks great!

Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Jenny said...

I can't wait to try this out. Looks amazing!

Unknown said...

That looks great. It must be zucchini season :-)

I have some in the fridge ready for grilling tonight. My mom likes to bread giant slices (about 4" in diameter) and pan-fry them.

So much zucchini, so little time.

janice15 said...

These look divine I have zucchini in the garden...the other day I made zucchini and sweet potato tempura...it was great...O and Samuel and Everett are nice names...Good Luck.

janice15 said...

O and Owen is a nice name as well I was my grandfather's name..Well Owen Albert..and My brother name is Michael Owen..and lol his son's name is Anthony Owen..famous name in this family..O and one more.lol. My cousin was Robert Owen...

Post a Comment