Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chewy Granola Bars - Attempt 1


I've made granola before, but I've never bothered with chewy granola bars and I have no idea why it took me so long to make them. I found this recipe online and I ignored the reviews and went with the original recipe, which was a mistake. The taste is there, I love it and it's very simple. Many granola recipes call for all kinds of ingredients that I never buy. The only problem I have with this recipe is that it doesn't stick together well. Next time, I will increase the honey to 1 cup as suggested (many suggested 1 cup of butter as well, but I will try to avoid increasing the butter first).

And in other news, Vlasic Zesty Dill Spears might be unhealthy, but they are hands down the most delicious thing ever. Not only do I eat them like crazy but I even drink the juice. My poor boy will be born with issues from this, I can feel it. hehehe The second most delicious thing, in case you were wondering, is watermelon. Now that we've cleared that up, I will go ahead and share the recipe with you. :)

Chopped nuts
Add dates to the mix

Chewy Granola Bars
Serving Size = 3 dozen (I had less)
Original Recipe
  • 4 1/2 cups rolled oats (next time I will do 4)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup honey (next time I will do 1 cup)
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • My Additions:
  • Roughly 1/2 cup or so of chopped dates
  • Roughly 3/4 cup Almonds, Walnuts and Pecans, chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly greased a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a very large bowl combine the oats, flour, soda, vanilla, butter, honey and brown sugar. Stir in any additional ingredients.
  3. Pressed firmly into the pan and bake for 18-22 mins or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 mins then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing.

1 comment:

kitchen flavours said...

I've made some granola a couple of weeks ago but have not tried making granola bars. I will have to try at making some too. Thanks for sharing and the tips! Have a great weekend!

Post a Comment