Monday, June 27, 2011

Blueberry Streusel Muffins


The other day I took Mimi on a play date and as we were leaving we were given a container of blueberries. Before I even got into my car I was thinking about muffins. I definitely wanted a muffin with a streusel topping since blueberries can be tart sometimes. They needed that extra bit of sugar and the extra calories didn't hurt my feeling much either. :) My husband couldn't even resist the muffins and he is very anti-blueberry. I was in shock when I saw him eat one. And baby number 2 must have appreciated all of the sugar too because he was doing cartwheels in my stomach this morning. 




Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Serving Size = 1 dozen
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup milk
Topping
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 5 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 1 teaspoon)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, diced (unsalted)
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a pan and line with muffin liners (I skipped the liners).
  2. Mix together the 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, add the blueberries and then sprinkle on the 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour, this is suppose to keep the batter from turning purple.
  3. With your mixer, beat together 1/2 cup of butter and 3/4 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. Mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk (do not over mix). Fold in the blueberries.
  4. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan about 3/4 of the way full.
  5. For the topping, combine 2 tablespoons of flour, 5 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 (I used 1) teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons of butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the muffins.
  6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan, on a wire rack.


Here is the muffin pan that I used. I try to avoid aluminum and non-stick in the kitchen as much as possible. This pan is stainless steel, which makes me feel better while I'm baking. I have not had any problems with muffins sticking to it. I just spray it well with oil and then pour in the batter. The muffins cook evenly and the pan is very easy to clean (I hand wash it). I know it's more money than an aluminum pan from Wal-Mart, but really, how many muffin pans will you purchase in your life? I only have one and I've never had a problem. I would like a second one some day, but it isn't a must. I think it's worth the investment.

Linking to: Homemaker Monday, Cast Party Wednesday

7 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking muffin check out the event in my site food palette series purple

Anonymous said...

For some reason when I eat blueberry muffins I have to have streusel on top. The streusel just adds something special. Yum!

annies home said...

oh so yummy love muffins and these sound amazing come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

kitchen flavours said...

Looks delicious! The only blueberries I used are the frozen ones, would be lovely to have some fresh ones. The streusel on the muffins looks really good, no wonder Baby is excited! Have a lovely day, Elsa!

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy! I'm have a recipe only link party "Cast Party Wednesday" and this would be perfect. Would you come over and share some of your recipes with us?
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking up your recipe at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share some more of your awesome recipes!
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

JCRHarris said...

Those sound INCREDIBLE and I just bought blueberries. Hooray!

Post a Comment