Friday, May 6, 2011

Rosemary and Tomato Quail


I've been wanting to make quail for a while, but I could never find it on sale, until recently. I was so excited that I started jumping in the aisle. My husband looked at me like I was crazy and my toddler completely ignored me and continued running, screaming, and touching everything on the shelves. Anyway, the meal was wonderful but I did have the heat too high, so keep an eye on that. I served it with fresh peas, and Parmesan mashed potatoes (mashed potatoes with Parmesan, butter and a few tablespoons of sour cream mixed in). For the fresh peas, I just steamed them for a few minutes and then added some butter and salt. Also, for some reason, I feel like a mild Italian sausage would be awesome with this quail, maybe browned before adding the sauce.

By the way, this is my first time making quail. I stared at them wondering if I should remove bones, cut them in half, or who knows what else. But I was feeling lazy that day, so I just threw them into the pan. I do recommend tying the legs together at the very least, I have no idea why I didn't do that, but it makes for a much nicer presentation. And next time I think I will try cutting them in half. Let's hope future quail experiments are prettier, but just as tasty.

I normally hate raw meat pics, but these quails are so darn cute that I
couldn't resist! 
The sauce before adding the quails
By the way, I can't figure out how to take a pic through steam
Rosemary and Tomato Quail
Serving Size = 2 (2 quails per person)
  • 4 quails, rinsed and patted dry
  • 1 tablespoon or so of extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 small cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 can of whole tomatoes plus juices, or 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • Salt/Pepper to taste
  • 2 basil leaves, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon or so of dried rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup of chicken stock
  1. Heat up a large skillet (medium heat) and add some EVOO to coat the bottom. Add the chopped onion and saute just until it starts to soften a bit (not too much because the quails have to sear too and it will over cook the onions). Add the garlic and then add the quails (salt the quails first and I didn't do this, but tie the legs together). Brown the quails on both sides. 
  2. Once browned, remove to a plate and add the tomatoes and chicken stock. You want a good amount of liquid, but the quails should not be completely submerged. Add the rosemary, sage, basil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
  3. Add the quails and cover (drop the heat a bit to medium low) and cook for 30 - 40 minutes or until done (my heat was too high and caused some problems). I turn them after 15 minutes or so. Check once or twice to make sure the liquid isn't drying up, if it is then add more chicken stock. You want a thick sauce when you are done.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmm, looks so gourmet.

Food Glorious Food! said...

Never really cook any quail.. I only see this in restaurants... thanks for the recipe as now i can try cooking it at home!

http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

Have you thought about spatchcocked quail? I do it the same as a chicken or turkey (just smaller).

Elsa said...

No I didn't, but that would look nice as well.

Unknown said...

I was very happy because I could find this very good information
thank you very much for sharing this interesting thing with us.
greetings and good luck always

Obat Gabagen Cara Mengatasi Perut Kembung Akibat Maag Cara Menghilangkan Uci Ucis Obat Kerumut Obat Luka Diabetes Cara Cepat Mengobati Benjolan Di Vagina Cara Mengatasi Campak Pada Anak Secara Alami Cara Mengatasi Vagina yang Gatal Cara Menghilangkan Bisul Di Kepala) Cara Menurunkan Kadar Trigliserida Tinggi

Post a Comment