Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mushroom Jalapeno Rice and Asparagus with Brie/Balsamic Reduction

 

My poor, poor, poor computer almost died today. It wouldn't start and I was having a melt down because I'm "that dumb person" that doesn't back-up anything. I thought I would lose my pictures and videos of my daughter, which would be extremely tragic. I treasure the pictures of my daughter so very much. She's growing up so fast. I can already see future Elsa having empty nest syndrome and crying while flipping through old memories. I'm dramatic like that. hehehe Anyway, thank goodness my husband was able to save the computer and now here I am, posting food pics..... ONLY AFTER I backed-up all of my videos and pictures. ;)

Update: It died again, but everything is backed-up, so I'm not heartbroken. Unfortunately, this means I'm not able to post and comment as often as I like. Hopefully we'll get it up and running again soon!  

As for the food, well I decided to make rice, asparagus and steak the other day. My typical asparagus dish is roasting it with garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add Parm-Reg, sometimes I don't. Yesterday I decided to change things up a bit though. I still roasted the asparagus, but this time I topped it with brie and a balsamic reduction. The reason I went with brie is because I was trying to use it up. I'm not really a brie fan, so even though it worked beautifully, I would rather use fresh mozzarella next time. The rice was also great with tons of flavor. Not only did my toddler eat it, which was a miracle, but my husband was still commenting on it the next day.

Trim the asparagus, add oil, salt and mix.
The balsamic reduction should be thick, like syrup.
Plate and drizzle on the reduction.
Roasted Asparagus with Brie and Balsamic Reduction
Serving Size = 2
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil, just a few tablespoons, not too much (Extra Virgin Olive Oil will work)
  • 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 8 pieces of brie, roughly (or fresh mozzarella, which I would prefer)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
  2. Place the asparagus in a dish and drizzle on the oil, season with salt to taste. Roast for about 15 minutes, until tender.
  3. In the meantime, start the balsamic reduction. Place the vinegar in a small or medium saucepan and cook over medium low heat, creating a gentle simmer. Cook until the liquid reduces by half and coats the back of a spoon (like syrup).
  4. In the last few minutes of cooking the asparagus, add the brie or mozzarella and melt.
  5. When done, plate the asparagus and then drizzle on the reduction.
By the way, as I type this, my toddler is pretending to pour things into containers and cook and stir and all that fun stuff. :)

Chop the mushrooms, onions and garlic.
Roughly chop the parsley.
Mix together and cover.
Serve!
Mushroom and Jalapeno Rice
Serving Size = 3 - 4
  • 10 white mushrooms (roughly), cleaned and sliced
  • 1 cup of uncooked long grain white rice
  • 2 cups of beef broth
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup parsley
  • Salt to taste (don't skimp), and Pepper
  • Oil/Butter (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a tablespoon of butter)
  1. Start by sauteing (over medium heat) the mushrooms, jalapeno, onions and garlic in the oil and butter (or just oil, it doesn't matter too much). Cook until tender and add some salt and pepper.
  2. Add the rice and stir, then add the beef broth and parsley. Add some more salt if necessary and stir. My beef broth doesn't have much salt, so I tend to need extra, it just depends on the brand.
  3. When the broth comes to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
  4. Cook for 20 minutes.
Linking to: Full Plate Thursday, Friday Potluck, Foodie Friday

    16 comments:

    Betsy Brock said...

    Yum, We love mushrooms and asparagus so I might have to make both! Mmmm.

    Candace said...

    I'm so sorry that you are having computer problems. I hope you get that fixed quickly! Thank you for posting these recipes! I have fresh asparagus that I planned to roast for tonight's dinner. We usually just drizzle some balsamic vinegar over it. Now it will be topped with your wonderful reduction sauce. Great idea! I sure wish I was having the steak and rice to go with it though. :)

    kitchen flavours said...

    That's a delicious meal! Sorry about your computer problems! I would hate it if that happens to me, which reminds me that I need to back up my precious photos too. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    Miz Helen said...

    Hi Elsa,
    I am so sorry about your computer, that is one of my fears now that I am blogging. Our Electicity goes out a lot here in the country and it is touch and go sometimes. I am really drooling over your asparagus with that balsamic reduction. It just looks delicious. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and hope your computer will let you come back next week!

    Swathi said...

    Mushroom jalapeno rice looks delicious. i love that balsamic reduction process.

    Amy said...

    Oh so delicious! Love all the ingredients you're using here and I'm sure they are as delicious as they look in these pictues! :)

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    Rosita Vargas said...

    Maravilloso plato muy completo y los ingredientes que usas me encantan,el risotto se ve fantástico,se ve que eres buena cocinera ,porque vi tus otros recetas y se ven muy lindas y bien preparadas,abrazos.

    Brownieville Girl said...

    Looks like my ideal dinner - I love each and every one of those ingredients.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
    has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, terrific blog!

    my webpage; smartphone 70€

    chenlina said...

    chenlina20151207
    ugg boots
    hollister
    mont blanc pens
    ray ban outlet store
    ugg clearance
    coach factory outlet
    polo ralph lauren
    ralph lauren outlet
    jordan 11
    louis vuitton handbags
    polo ralph lauren outlet
    canada goose outlet
    ugg boots
    michael kors outlet
    coach outlet
    coach outlet
    cheap ugg boots
    adidas superstars
    official coach factory outlet
    pandora jewelry
    ugg outlet
    abercrombie kids
    louis vuitton handbags
    abercrombie and fitch new york
    cheap uggs
    louis vuitton outlet stores
    coach outlet store online
    hollister co
    uggs on sale
    louis vuitton
    ray ban sunglasses outlet
    ray ban sunglasses outlet
    nike free runs
    oakley sunglasses
    cheap uggs
    abercrombie fitch
    oakley sunglasses cheap
    coach factory outlet
    michael kors outlet clearance
    louis vuitton outlet
    as

    mmjiaxin said...

    cheap oakley sunglasses
    toms outlet
    jordans for cheap
    tiffany and co jewellery
    discount oakley sunglasses
    Cheap Oakley Sunglasses
    fitflop shoes
    Cheap NFL Jerseys China
    Cheap Jerseys Online
    cheap oakley sunglasses
    http://www.michaeljordanshoes.us.com
    fitflops clearance
    tiffany and co outlet online
    tiffany & co
    tiffany online
    fitflops
    adidas nmd runner
    nfl jerseys
    oakley sunglasses,oakley outlet sunglasses
    michael kors outlet
    gg

    Unknown said...



    Thank has been sharing this information
    sapnudin herbal
    obat sakit tulang ekor
    obat QnC jelly Gamat
    obat nyeri lutut
    obat hidrosalping

    Rose Blackpink said...



    Hello, we are from the health site admin, want to share our latest articles :

    cara menghilangkan benjolan tumor
    cara menyembuhkan radang lambung
    cara menghilangkan benjolan di kelopak mata
    cara mengobati batu empedu
    cara mengobati kencing nanah
    cara mengobati tipes
    cara menghilangkan benjolan di belakang kepala

    Unknown said...

    Given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to

    share articles here hopefully helped :

    Cara menyembuhkan

    pembengkakan hati

    Cara menurunkan

    trombosit tinggi

    Walisongo herbal
    Cara mengobati

    kanker hati stadium akhir

    Cara mengobati malaria

    dengan cepat

    MANI said...

    Many of us have heard your argument pertaining to spending additional now in quality to avoid wasting money after. But why don't you consider the result your purchase is wearing the entire world, shouldn't shopping ethically join in on the conversation too? shoppin guide

    Nina said...

    Smoke Cartons Wholesale

    Getty ImagesMiley Cyrus has greater couple critics amongst her Hollywood mates Cheap Marlboro 100'S Cigarettes Online, but godmother Dolly Parton is squarely on her behalf side Marlboro Cigarettes Size. In an up to date interview with Birmingham Evening Standard, the 67-year-old had lots of reasons to believe the young star is progressing just fine. Right here Parton defense, divided into three simple reasons: 1. She more talented than many people think. "I loved her progressively and watched her develop, and I observed how smart she's and how talented she's. "In my previous life, I seem like that was me personally. I feel such as Lil Kim is actually who I am contained in the product, " insists Miley, that also lists Dolly Parton, Joan Jett, as well as Beth Hart. "She just can make me happy hearing her music, and Freezing love her. And even regarding those, she the very first one to crack a faiytale. Whatever the motivation, Dolly always has something to express Cheap Cigarettes Online USA.

    Post a Comment