Friday, January 21, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Lime Butter, Sauteed Jalapeno Okra



Check out the grill marks! I found a cast iron grill/griddle (pre-seasoned! woohoo!) on amazon and bought it with my Christmas money. Of course it was on sale (scroll to the bottom to see the deal). Like all cast iron, it's super-duper heavy, but it cooks evenly and beautifully (and I'm not the only one saying this, the reviews are very high). Unfortunately, it comes with very little instructions and I need detailed instructions --- demonstrations even. So when it came time to heat it up, I went too high, of course. The grill marks are stunning, but the massive amount of smoke, and the constant beeping from the smoke detector was a bit much. Oops! hehehe Oh well, I finished them off in the oven to save our lungs, but they were still delicious. I cannot wait to use it again, but this time I'll keep the heat a little under medium and hope for the best. 

The rest of the dinner that night was jalapeno and cheese mashed potatoes and sauteed okra. Since I bought enough okra for 2 dinners, I'm going to share the recipe that went with dinner a few days ago. I sauteed the okra with jalapeno and it was delicious. The picture above is just plain ol' sauteed okra.

The Beast. My skinny arms are suffering.

Grilled Chicken with Lime Butter
Serving Size = 4 (the butter sauce could stretch to 6 though)
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • Hungarian Paprika
  • Onion Powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt/Pepper
Sauce
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 lime, juiced, 1/2 teaspoon zest (add juice to taste, add half and check)
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
  1. Preheat the grill and oil it.
  2. No measuring here! Just sprinkle each chicken breast lightly with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Place on the grill and cook until it reaches the correct internal temperature (if you killed it with heat like I did, then you might need to bake it to finish off the middle).
  3. When the chicken is almost done melt the butter, zest, lime juice and garlic in a small saucepan. Once it melts, let it cook for a few minutes just to combine the flavors.
  4. When the chicken is done place it on a plate, pour the butter over and then serve (don't pour the butter onto each individual plate or you'll have a pool of butter).
    Wash the okra and chop off both ends and pitch them.
    Tip: When you get the okra home, store in a paper bag to keep it fresh.
    Cut the okra into small pieces. 
    Artistic close-up tehehehe
    Chop one seeded jalapeno and about 2 cloves of garlic.
    Let the okra get nice and brown and serve.

    Sauteed Jalapeno Okra
    Serving Size = 2 - 3
    • Okra, trimmed (enough for 2 - 3 people)
    • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
    • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • Salt/Pepper to taste
    • Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Grape Seed Oil (A few tablespoons, I use organic cold pressed)
    1. Preheat one large skillet over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Add the okra and saute over medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for another 5 minutes. Make sure the heat isn't too high, you want it to sizzle and brown slowly.
    2. Season with salt/pepper and serve.
    (I'm an amazon affiliate and will occasionally post good deals from amazon.com.)

    Linking to: Foodie Friday, Friday Potluck, Food on Fridays

    14 comments:

    Treat and Trick said...

    Great combo and sounds so yummy! Thanks for stopping by my site, see you again soon...


    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    Jenna said...

    Looks delicious, we love okra too, and always have a garden full of it in the summer.

    Elsa said...

    I've never tried to grow okra. I will definitely look into it though.

    Kate said...

    The pictures look GREAT! and okra and eggplant grow really well when planted next to each other.

    Swathi said...

    I have to try that jalapeno okra. I have a weakness towards okra.

    Alea Milham said...

    I am probably going to sound like a complete idiot but do you use the cast iron grill on your cook top? If so, how do you do that?

    The chicken looks beautiful! It has been ages since I've had okra - I definitely need to try this recipe.

    Elsa said...

    Good question! You place the grill over two burners, and turn both of them on. The grill/griddle will heat up and then you can cook. In fact, if you click on the link (click the "Lodge Logic" words), you can see customer pics that show you how to use it. That's my favorite thing about Amazon, the customer pics.

    kitchen flavours said...

    I love your iron grill! Your chicken looks really delicious! I have been looking for a good one for ages, really wishing Amazon has a centre over here in Malaysia! I may get an electric one that I've seen but I prefer the stove-top one like yours. I love okra too, grow my own, this is an easy plant to grow and can be harvested within 2 months!

    Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

    That looks delicious. I never cooked Okra. I need to try it one of these days.

    yanmaneee said...

    supreme clothing
    kevin durant shoes
    jordan 13
    curry 6
    yeezy shoes
    yeezy boost 350
    yeezy 500
    stone island outlet
    off white
    yeezy boost 350 v2

    shestes said...

    7a replica bags philippines replica bags chicago replica bags karachi

    tanet said...

    check my site bags replica ysl Related Site high quality designer replica browse this site replica gucci handbags

    seannee said...

    other resource my link get redirected here see this site visit this site

    Anonymous said...

    a bathing ape
    bape hoodie
    supreme clothing
    yeezy 380
    irving shoes

    Post a Comment