Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cranberry Bread


I love quick breads. I try to make them a few times a week because bread is one of the few things my toddler will eat. We usually have a piece for breakfast, so I can stretch the bread out for a few days. I'm not sure this bread will make it to tomorrow though. I've been really successful with baking this week, it seems like everything I make has been a huge success. Ok, now I'm being cocky. What were we talking about again?? haha

Anyway, I saw this recipe on The Frugal Girl blog. When I went grocery shopping the other day I bought a bag of cranberries, specifically for this recipe, and now I know the rest of the bag will go towards a few more loaves. What I love the most about this bread is that it doesn't require very many ingredients. Even the ingredients it does call for are very small amounts. Usually when I bake I have to use 1 stick of butter, 45 cups of sugar, 60 cups of flour --- Ok, not that many, but you get my point. This is a very frugal recipe, which makes sense. :)

Chop the cranberries and juice the orange --- or use orange juice.
Mix in the cranberries and walnuts.
Pour into the bread pan.
Yum Yum Yum!
Cranberry Bread
Serving Size = 1 loaf
(I made zero changes)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • 1/2 cup of orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 cup cranberries, chopped or cut in half
  • 1/2 cup nuts, optional (I used walnuts)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F (325F if using a glass pan).
  2. Mix together the dry ingredients (not the cranberries or walnuts). In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (egg, butter, water and orange juice). 
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (I used my stand mixer on a very low speed and added the dry to the wet). Fold in the nuts and cranberries. 
  4. Pour into a greased 9x5 or 4x6 inch pan (I used 9x5). Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

9 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I love cranberry and orange together! This looks delicious and lovely!

I love it when I have lots of successes in the kitchen, but my family seems to enjoy the failures just as much. :)

Lisa said...

Delicious way to use fresh cranberries. This looks like a perfect breakfast.

Kristen said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. :)

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl

kitchen flavours said...

Looks delicious! I can't get any fresh cranberries over here, perhaps I can use the frozen ones! Thanks for sharing.

Elsa said...

Thanks everyone, I hope you try it because it is delicious. :)

Kitchen flavours - I haven't tried frozen cranberries, but I think it would work as well.

Unknown said...

yum, yum is right...so delicious! i have some cranberries in my fridge right now..excuse me while i head to the kitchen! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club

a moderate life said...

Hi Elsa! When muffins became "big" deli business about 25 years ago (oh, i am dating myself!) and I used to get one in the morning with coffee on the way to work in new york city, I would ALWAYS get a cranberry muffin very similar to this! Oh this brings back memories~ Thanks for sharing it on the hearth and soul hop! All the best, Alex

janice15 said...

Looks great now I know what I can do with my frozen cranberries besides making cranberry sauce.

susan said...

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. Eminem is an American songwriter, rapper, record producer and an actor. Hе hаѕ also bееn dеѕсrіbеd аѕ оnе оf thе grеаtеѕt hір-hор аrtіѕtѕ оf аll tіmе, оnе оf thе grеаtеѕt rарреrѕ оf аll tіmе аnd was lіѕtеd іn Rоllіng Ѕtоnе lіѕt оf 100 grеаtеѕt аrtіѕtѕ оf аll tіmе аt number 83. Here are a few more interesting facts and Eminem net worth you might not have known.

Post a Comment