Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Leftovers from the Last Post and Moroccan Spiced Chicken

I was having a Premeditated Leftovers moment last night with my leftover Middle Eastern Lentils, Kale, Leeks and Chickpeas. :) I turned them into a rice mixture and it turned out very well. It was a very mild dish, which is good, but I think next time I might add a few more spices. I paired it with Moroccan Spiced Chicken with green olives.

Here's how it goes....

  • Leftovers (about 1 cup)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 can of tomatoes or 2 large fresh tomatoes
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Rice (about 1 cup)

Heat the butter and a touch of oil in a pan with garlic for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and everything else, mix. Add the leftovers. 
I had about 1 cup of leftovers, so I made 1 cup of rice. Adjust as you see fit. Cook the rice separately and then add to the mixture.
Done! :)


The chicken was spicy and yummy as well. I baked it at 375F until it reached the recommended chicken temperature. Make sure you add the herbs at the VERY end. I added my herbs and walked away, and they over cooked. Oops! I also felt like this was too much chicken for the amount of spices I used. It should have been doubled. In the recipe below, I reduced the amount of chicken.


  • 3 chickens breasts (or any other parts)
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil (add just enough to make a thin paste)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1/2 cup parsley
  • Handful of green olives

The amounts can be adjusted. I changed them every time I make this dish. Sometimes I add different spices, remove some, anything goes. Just keep the majority of the spices and it will taste Moroccan.
Mix all of the spices, garlic and oil together to make a thin paste. Coat the chicken with the spices. Add the green olives. Cook the chicken until done. 
Add the parsley and cilantro in the last minute or so. Do not over cook the herbs or they will lose flavor, or become chips, as seen above. hehe
Since I cook for a baby, I leave out the cayenne pepper, but you will want to add 1/4 teaspoon or so.

1 comment:

Alea Milham said...

I tend to like my food on the mild side, so I think I would enjoy this as is. It really looks delicious!

Post a Comment