Friday, September 24, 2010

Herb Bread


I made this bread for my family the other day and it was a big hit. Unlike the onion bread I made a week or so back, this bread has a mild flavor. The Parmesan doesn't over power the bread but instead adds a thin layer of flavor. I didn't have any Italian seasoning, so I just mixed Italian herbs together to achieve the same result. A few days later, I used this bread to make grilled cheese sandwiches. I know, that isn't exactly gourmet, BUT it was delicious. I haven't tried it yet, but the same ingredients could be added to pizza dough and then rolled into very flavorful breadsticks. Below is my version of this recipe. Other than making my own Italian seasoning, I also removed the powdered milk, margarine and increased the Parm-reg slightly.

Herb Bread Recipe:


  • 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 3/4 cups bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or mix basil, oregano, sage, marjoram, onion powder (very little), garlic powder (very little), thyme, rosemary (very little)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Add all of the ingredients in the order recommended for your bread machine. Select basic/white cycle, medium crust, 1 lb loaf.


I am linking to Foodie Friday and Food on Fridays

4 comments:

Alea Milham said...

Your bread looks delicious!

I have to bake gluten-free and even with the mildest rice flours there is some after taste. I have overcome this by adding herbs to bread and pizza dough to mask the flavor.

Elsa said...

You should try a rosemary bread. Rosemary could mask the taste of ANYTHING. haha It's delicious too though, of course. :)

I have a blog that I check often and she does gluten free baking. I noticed that she uses several different kinds of gluten free flours. I don't know anything about gluten free cooking, but it looks like she has several good bread recipes.
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/09/bread-and-quick-bread-recipes.html

Anonymous said...

I'm REALLY glad you posted this as I had an herb bread recipe years ago and somehow lost it. This sounds very similar, I'm so excited!! Thanks for sharing.

Elsa said...

This bread turned out very well. The Parmesan was a very yummy addition. I think the dominate ingredients were the basil, oregano and Parmesan. Everything else was pretty mild. I hope you like it!

Post a Comment