Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Walnut Cookies (gluten free) and Powdered Sugar


My husband and I spent the day working on our daughter and son's playroom.
The following happened:
  1. My toddler ate an unknown amount of crayons
  2. But not before drawing on the floor, walls, door, window, etc.
  3. Toddler then stepped in blue paint and made little footprints across the crayoned floor
  4. Toddler saw that the window was wide open and threw random things into the yard
  5. Momma had a meltdown because toddler was making a mess
  6. Toddler ignored silly mommy and found a bottle of "Dreams" by Ana Sui, a lovely perfume mama hadn't worn in years, and then poured it all over the floor. Now toddler and playroom smell like the lovely "Dreams," which is no longer lovely and mama hopes to never smell it again
  7. Finally, the perfume scented toddler decided to take a nap at which point mama was jumping up and down with happiness
The rest of the day was spent cleaning up the toddler mess, and since she was taking an extra long nap, I decided to make some cookies...... mostly for the joy that it brings to my family. haha! Yeah, right. Mostly because I was having a huge chocolate craving and my pregnancy hormones were out of control. So I remembered Alea at Premeditated Leftovers and her flourless chocolate cookie recipe. I've made flourless chocolate cake, so I knew they would be dense and rich, which was exactly what I was looking for. 

A few suggestions ---- They do stick to the pan, so I might recommend lining it with parchment paper to be extra safe. Also, when the directions say, "a rounded tablespoon" stick with a rounded tablespoon. I made my first batch WAY too big and had to cook them longer, which dried them out. The second batch was small and did much better. Of course, if a few happen to crumble then you cannot serve them to your family. What kind of wife and mother would serve her family broken cookies?? NOT this one! Instead, I made sure to place those warm crumbled cookies into a bowl and top them with ice cream, then sit down and inhale them all. The things I do out of love for others. The sacrifices I make. Sheesh.

Flourless Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Serving Size = 3 dozen
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 cup or so of chocolate chips (optional, my addition)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Mix the sugar, cocoa and salt together in a bowl or mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until combined. Add the walnuts and chocolate chips, mix again.
  3. Place rounded tablespoons onto a grease cookie sheet (might want to line it with parchment paper). Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. 
  4. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack.

Powdered Sugar

One last note. It IS possible to make your own powdered sugar. 
You need: 
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
You then have to figure out how to process it to powder. Either a blender, food processor, or a "bullet" type of machine. The "bullet" machine (I don't have a Bullet, but it's similar) worked the best for me.

Keep in mind though that it is NOT in ANY WAY worth it to make your own powdered sugar. When you finish, and if you finish, your entire kitchen will be covered in white powder.
Neighbors will think you use cocaine.
People will gossip.
Just avoid it and buy the stuff, trust me.

Linking to: Full Plate Thursday

10 comments:

Alea Milham said...

Thanks for letting us laugh along with you at your rough day. I think your daughter would get along very well with my son! Chocolate does have a n amazing way of making things better. On really rough days, I have been known to make a half batch of mocha fudge frosting and eat it by the spoonful. :)

Unknown said...

Oh Elsa, I know just how you feel. Only you are a much better mother than I am, because after a morning like that I'm in no state to bake anything, let alone cookies as lovely as these!

Zoe said...

Happy to know that there is no butter or oil in this recipe!

France@beyondthepeel said...

wow, 4 cups of sugar! hehehe I bet they're good:)From the sounds of it I would have done the same.

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I bet these were fudgy and delicious! I had never thought abt making my own powdered sugar, but yeah, the thought of white powder all over the kitchen doesn't sound fun...one of those things I'll just keep buying :) and the crayons, paint, perfume....that is my life.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
These are great cookies and sure wish I had a couple right now to go with my coffee! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!
Miz Helen

poppilinnstudios said...

Awwww, I remember those days! Cookies always make everything better! Mmmmmm, walnuts and chocolate!
-Lynn

Food Glorious Food! said...

Ohh Elsa...look at the bright side your kid have talent in art :) Love the cookies!

Ann Jones said...

Your toddler and mine would get along well, they seem to get into the same messes! Your gluten free cookies look yummy! I tried making powdered sugar once and it did not go so well :)

Unknown said...

15919meiqing
timberland boots uk
nike air huarache
coach outlet store online
supra shoes
kobe bryant shoes
cheap uggs
adidas superstars
rolex replica watches
tods outlet
celine handbags
hermes belt
longchamp handbags
uggs on sale
coach outlet
gucci shoes
prada outlet
nike running shoes
p90x workouts
mulberry handbags
mizuno running shoes
ralph lauren pas cher
ugg sale
snapbacks wholesale
ed hardy outlet
pandora jewelry
tory burch outlet
christian louboutin uk
gucci outlet
abercrombie and fitch
basketball shoes

Post a Comment