Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Salsa I, Jalapeno Kitchen Tips, and Baby Dreams


I've been interested in homemade salsa lately. This is a very basic recipe, but I want to explore and find different types to play with and post later. What started this whole interest was when I went on vacation to TN (remember? I bought a million dollars worth of clay pottery. hehe). We went to a Mexican restaurant where the food was amazing, the restaurant was colorful, family friendly, and we just had a great time. The salsa was actually pretty plain but I LOVED it. The reason it was so delicious was because it was fresh. You could taste that it was made THAT day. They didn't need a lot of spices or fancy ingredients, it was simply fresh. I wanted to recreate that experience. While this isn't exactly the same, it's still pretty darn good. I made ours super hot (as in burn your stomach hot) by chopping up 2 whole jalapenos with seeds. Use 1 jalapeno and no seeds to keep things mild.

Kitchen Tip: I do not touch jalapenos and I never remember to buy gloves. When I use them, I simply get a pair of very sharp scissors and while holding the stem, I cut them lengthwise into as many pieces as I can (stopping right before the seeds if I plan to leave them out), and then while still holding the stem I cut the pepper crosswise to make little pieces. Once I'm done, I pitch the stem and the scissors go into the dishwasher. Now when I take my contacts out at night, my eyes will not burn for several minutes. Woohoo!

Expect more salsa posts in the future and please share your recipes with me as well!


Salsa I
Serving Size = About 2 cups
  • 1/4 cup or so of cilantro
  • 4 - 6 large roma tomatoes (mine were abnormally large)
  • 1 very small onion, chopped (and my onion was abnormally small)
  • 1 - 2 jalapenos, chopped
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of salt, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon vinegar (apple cider is fine)
  • 1 garlic clove, grated (I just use a microplane)
  • 1 teaspoon or so of ground cumin, to taste
  1. Place everything into a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until it reaches desired consistency. Or chop everything up by hand and mix. Let is sit out at room temperature for an hour, mix and then refrigerate.
Baby update! --- Dreaming of Baby
I'm feeling better about the names. I'm pretty sure we're going with the name Emmett because I had a dream about it. I know, silly, but it's true. I dreamt that I was looking out the window while Mimi and our baby boy were playing (they were running around their playground set -- Mimi first, baby boy following) and I yelled at them, "Mimi, Emmett, it's time to come in." And both of them came running. He was adorable with dark brown hair, brown eyes, and his skin was a tiny bit darker than Mimi's. He was also a little bit chunky. He was wearing jeans and a dark brown, zip-up, heavy knitted sweater (it was autumn, apparently).... very adorable. :) And what's interesting is that the dream was before I even seriously considered the name Emmett. I was actually leaning towards Eliot, so it seems like I would dream of that name, but I didn't. Another thing that's interesting is that I had a big and pregnant belly in my dream. Baby number 3???? haha!

10 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Elsa, Your salsa looks really fresh and good! I have never attempted to make salsa before, got to give it a try one of these days!
That is a sweet and happy dream! Looks like Baby is trying to tell you he wants to be called Emmett. Baby No. 3? That would be another addition of happiness! :)

Food Glorious Food! said...

Emmett is lovely!! Maybe you can save Eliot for baby number 3 :) Have a great weekend!

France@beyondthepeel said...

I live fresh homemade salsas. I don't make them nearly often enough. I love them with roasted corn added. The sweet and the spice.
PS emmett rocks as a baby name!

Kate said...

I have been wanting to make salsa for awhile now. I think you my have inspired me. I like to grill the tomatoes so that the salsa has a smokey flavor. mmmm!I do love Emmett. What will you nickname him? I rarely call O by his real name and if he is in trouble I add on his two middle names (one of which isn't even legal any longer haha).

Elsa said...

I would think Oliver would be Ollie? Or do you actually call him O? I always thought you said "O" online just to keep from writing his name out.

I have no idea what his nn would be. Probably E. I'm not sure where else I could go from there. Met? I tend to call my kids weird names though. Mimi was Pooh Bear and Biscuit since birth. The family calls her Mimi and hubs calls her Mafia. :) I am sure this next child will have some weird nn, probably food related knowing me.

And I've been thinking about grilled tomato salsa as well. I will try out some more recipes especially since Mimi LOVES salsa. She woke up last night saying "chips, chips, chips."

Elsa said...

I would being lying if I said I wasn't excited about the chance of baby number 3 already (I want a pretty good size family, nothing that we can't take care of though, of course). Ask me this in another 4 months though! hahaha!

But yes, I will definitely be saving these names. Boys names are very challenging for me!!

And I will be adding corn to my next salsa, great idea!

janice15 said...

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE FRESH SALSA..CAN'T WAIT TILL MY GARDEN TOMATOES ARE READY...AND YOUR DREAM WAS WONDERFUL..SO EMMETT IT IS..?? MAYBE YOU'LL CHANGE IT AGAIN...

Unknown said...

ugg outlet
ferragamo shoes
nike shoes for men
coach factory outlet
chaussures louboutin
lebron james shoes 2016
ray ban sunglasses
ed hardy
ray ban sunglasses
christian louboutin
20161230caian

Deniz said...

yurtdışı kargo
resimli magnet
instagram takipçi satın al
yurtdışı kargo
sms onay
dijital kartvizit
dijital kartvizit
https://nobetci-eczane.org/
YL75RQ

Rümeysa said...

Portekiz yurtdışı kargo
Romanya yurtdışı kargo
Slovakya yurtdışı kargo
Slovenya yurtdışı kargo
İngiltere yurtdışı kargo
X7Q0

Post a Comment