Thursday, July 7, 2011

Quinoa, Plum, Cucumber and Honey Salad


I saw several versions of this salad online and just pieced together my own. I love this salad, it is absolutely delicious and I plan to take it to a gathering some day because it seems fancy. The only thing I might do differently next time is to leave out the onion. It was still great, but that's just my own preference. I think every single version of this salad had onion in it, so I know it's popular.

You can also adjust the honey to taste. I knew that when I took a bite of the salad I wanted the honey to jump out, and it does. Another option, and I plan to do this later, is to take this to a complete fruit salad. Skip the onion and cucumber and instead add banana, grapes, apple or whatever else you want. I would even keep the dressing the same. The vinegar really brightens the dish and brings it to life.

Extremely healthy cookies.....
Oh yes, and this is what I also made yesterday. Ahem, "eating healthy during this pregnancy" failure number 3,010. The worst part about making these chocolate chip cookies that I was having a huge, uncontrollable, over-the-top craving for was that it was during the afternoon when it was 1,000 degrees outside. I tend to turn my AC up to 80 degrees.... and then add the hot oven..... 

We all roasted for a while. Woops!

I also felt ill for a while from over eating them. Woops again!

Oh well, the cold and healthy salad made up for it, right? Sure, why not! :)

Chop up as much cucumber, plum and green onion as you like
Dressing
Don't forget the walnuts! Toast, chop and add
Quinoa, Plum, Cucumber and Honey Salad
Serving Size = 4 - 6
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 5 - 6 plums, pitted and diced
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (roughly, just eye it)
  • 4 - 5 tablespoons grapeseed oil (to taste, it depends how much vinegar you like and I prefer a lot)
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped (will probably skip next time, but I just used the green part)
  • 2 tablespoons or so of honey (to taste)
  • Salt (don't skimp, it brings out the flavor)
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  1. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Place it in a saucepan and add the water, bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has absorbed. Remove from heat and leave for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Transfer to a bowl and cool down, then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until cool.
  2. Chop the veggies, fruit, nuts and mix the dressing. Add to the cooled quinoa and mix. 
  3. Refrigerate for an hour or so and then serve (mix again before serving).

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh my, I've never heard of a salad like this one. I love it! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Kim of Mo'Betta said...

Oh my, when I was pregnant with my second child I had crazy cravings for chocolate chip cookie dough. I can't tell you how much of it I ate, but she was almost a 10 lb baby - too much sugar maybe?! (I know, raw cookie dough when pregnant isn't the smartest thing to do)

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering what to do with quinoa. This would be yummy any time of day.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today too!

Jennifer @ http://imitationbydesign.blogspot.com

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
It is so good to see you and know you are doing well. Your Salad looks so healthy and delicious. We would really enjoy this great summertime salad.
Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
Miz Helen

Post a Comment