Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Green Beans with Toasted Breadcrumbs


My toddler, Mimi, has now developed an interest in dressing herself. The other day she picked out an orange skirt to wear. Unfortunately, we were about to leave the house to go shopping and I had nothing to match the skirt (yes, the laundry is piling up), so I had to change her clothes. This resulted in a complete meltdown. 
Full blown. 
She even collapsed on the floor. 
Being the awesome mom that I am, I reminded her that we were going to ride in the car and she immediately cheered up and started saying "ca, ca, ca" (car). I love how quickly toddlers forget. 

Other than modeling outfits every 5 minutes, she's also been spending time in the garden with me. I weed a bit, and by a bit, I mean hardly at all. I won't lie, my husband does 99% of the weeding. I usually walk outside and pull a few weeds around one plant just to make myself feel useful and then I go sit in the shade. Hey, I'm 6-months pregnant, c'mon! And it's HOT here, seriously HOT. But I do pick some stuff from the garden (or at the very least, stand around watching hubs), and she usually stands next to me playing in (eating) the dirt. Then we head indoors and start the canning process. I canned green beans yesterday, so I saved a few for yet another green bean post. 

Possibly my new favorite way to eat green beans.

Oregano and parsley
Toasted breadcrumbs
Green Beans with Toasted Breadcrumbs
Serving Size = 4 - 5
  • Enough green beans for 4 - 5 people
  • 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/8 - 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • Just a tiny bit of lemon juice
  • Salt/Pepper
  1. Add green beans to a medium sauce pan and fill with water until the beans are covered. Boil until crisp but tender (15 mins maybe). Drain well and mix in the oregano and parsley.
  2. In a small pan over medium heat, add the butter and melt. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or so (it should become fragrant). Pour in the breadcrumbs. You will want enough crumbs to soak up the butter, toast, and then spread apart. You should not end up with little clumps of greasy crumbs (it takes about 5 minutes to cook everything). Add salt and pepper.
  3. Pour the breadcrumbs over the green beans, add a touch of lemon juice, mix and serve.
I forgot to mention this, but I've joined Pinterest. 
Check it out! 
Follow Me on Pinterest

Linking to: Hearth and Soul

7 comments:

Alea Milham said...

My greenbeans are still flowers, but I am bookmarking this for when they mature. I love the idea of toasted bread crumbs - what a delicious addition!

My daughter loved to dress herself and she went out in all sorts of interesting ourfits. people would give me a knowing look, smile sweetly at her, and say, "Did you dress yourself". She would puff up with pride and say, "How'd you know?" :)

I love your new profile picture! Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Kate said...

I sometimes worry about Little O. Nanny brings her mini-me with her (who is 10 months younger) and she plays COMPLETELY differently. She LOVES the toy kitchen and dresses herself while the Monster is jumping from couch to couch to couch and then to the coffee table and then leaping to rocketfly to day moon. Why does it seem that girls are actually more inclined to be domestic? Although, Mila does eat dirt.

p.s. that is MY favorite way to eat green beans. Sometimes I add romano or parm. mmmm

tigerfish said...

I like how the toasted breadcrumbs bring a light crisp and toasty taste to the green beans

Swathi said...

Green beans with toasted breadcrumbs looks delicious. Thanks for giving the idea of freezing the banana.

kitchen flavours said...

Green beans with toasted bread crumbs looks delicious! Love to try this!
The weather here is unbearably hot, have been avoiding gardening for almost two weeks now, and the weeds are now everywhere! Argh!!

Zoe said...

This recipe looks nice and easy to me. It's always nice to eat our vegetable with a little bit of crunch.

Jason@JLHealth said...

Green bean casserole is one of our favorites! Thanks for the reminder to make a great recipe.

Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Post a Comment