Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Apricot Bread and Baking Powder

Let cool. My pan was a little too small for the bread. :(

Have I told you that I've been obsessed with listening to ZZ Top while I'm cooking? I have no idea why. I never listened to them that often in the past. I can't seem to get enough Buffalo wings, blue cheese or ZZ Top. Je ne sais pas! I'm sure blasting "Sharp Dressed Man" in the kitchen is embarrassing my husband though. hehehe

By the way, below is the creepiest toy I've ever seen in my life and I had to share it with you. I hate walking by an entire shelf of them in the store. They've been haunting me for months. They give me nightmares. Ok, they don't haunt me or give me nightmares, but could you blame me if they did??

The Sing-A-Ma-Jigs - Hot Pink
*Shudder*

Ok, on to less creepy things now. Today I made apricot bread and served it with honey butter (just room temperature butter and honey mixed together, to taste). Before you try a piece, let it cool completely. The flavor is so much better when the bread is room temperature.

Place apricots in a food processor.
Chop them up.
Place the apricots in boiling water.
Chop up the nuts.
Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs.
Pour into a dish and bake.
Apricot Bread
Serving Size = 1 loaf
  • 6 ounces dried apricots, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla (I probably used 1/2 tablespoon)
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional (I used pecans)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Chop the apricots (I used a food processor) and pour the boiling water over them. Let them cool.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar (I used my stand mixer). Add the egg and vanilla. Stir in the apricots and water. 
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, chopped nuts (if using) and baking powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixture while gently mixing.
  4. Pour the batter into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for a bit, and then remove from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack. 
My loaf came out dark, but I think that's normal because the original recipe picture looks dark as well. I probably should have knocked the temperature down to 325F though since I was using a glass pan. I'll try that next time.

Are you out of baking powder? Here's a recipe for single acting, aluminum free baking powder. By the way, single acting means that when you add it to the recipe you need to bake it right away. It starts working once it hits the heat. Double acting means that it starts to act outside of the oven and then in the heat as well (two reactions), so you can leave it out longer before baking.

Baking Powder (Single Acting) Recipe
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
  1. Can be stored up to 4 weeks, so I do not recommend making large batches.

13 comments:

Swathi said...

Apricot bread with nuts looks delicious, I tried your spiced chickpeas, they came out really well. thanks for the recipe.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I am always looking for apricot recipes, since I keep them in the pantry, thanks!

a moderate life said...

Hi Elsa, you crack me up! I am a HUGE ZZ top fan! I really like most of their older catalog like Jesus left chicago and We're bad, we're nation wide, but they are all good! Very cool recipe for baking powder and of course the bread is to die for! I love apricot loaf! Reminds me so much of spring because the flavor is so strong and yummy!Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! All the best! alex

kitchen flavours said...

Apricots are really my favourite! Sounds yummy. Thanks for the tips on "homemade" baking powder!

Alea Milham said...

The bread looks wonderful! I am assuming you tasted the bread while warm for research purposes. :)

Thanks for sharing your homemade baking powder tip. It is so easy and frugal!

Swathi said...

Elsa,

regarding removing the chilly oil you can try
1) wash the hand with diluted vinegar , if possible do it twice.
2) I have seen some people washing with alcohol but it will burn

3)try to apply some oil and then wash with soap.

For me if i am cutting one or two serrano chilies it doesn't bother me, if more then i will get burning. I usually try the 3 rd one.

Hope this will help

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elsa,
I love Apricots and this bread would really be a plus here, it just looks soooo good! Thank you so much for bringing it over to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Unknown said...

what is that toy? you are spot on about the creepiness of it! your gorgeous bread does not deserve to share a post with it :) thank you for sharing your yummy apricot bread with tuesday night supper club

Cathy said...

Your apricot bread looks wonderful, Else. This is just the kind of treat I enjoy when I take a tea break in the afternoon.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful looking loaf of bread. Sounds like a delicious way to use apricots. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your bread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

Betsy Brock said...

My mouth is watering!

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

I think I will have to steal this recipe. :-) I have several jars of canned apricots and I think I can adapt this to use some of those. It sounds wonderful. If I post I will give you full credit, of course.

-Brenda

Nina said...

Cig Cartons Wholesale

Getty ImagesMiley Cyrus has greater couple critics amid her Hollywood associates Cheap Cigarettes Online USA, but godmother Dolly Parton is squarely on her behalf side. In a newly released interview with Manchester Evening Standard, the 67-year-old had a good amount of reasons to feel the young star has been doing just fine. Below Parton defense, converted into three uncomplicated reasons: 1. She more talented than most of the people think. "I loved her as time passes and watched her become adults, and I witnessed how smart jane is and how talented jane is. "In my prior life, I feel as if that was us Cheap Marlboro 100'S Cigarettes Online. I feel similar to Lil Kim can be who I am with this report, " insists Miley, whom also lists Dolly Parton, Joan Jett, along with Beth Hart Newport Coupons For Cartons. "She just creates me happy following her music, and I merely love her. And even in the matter of those, she the 1st one to crack fiction. Whatever the creativity, Dolly always has something to convey.

Post a Comment