Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Skirt Steak Ras el Hanout, Whipped Potatoes, Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower


Since I convinced everyone to make ras el hanout a few weeks ago, I thought I should post a second recipe. It's tragic to make a spice mixture, place it in a cute little spice jar, and then forget about it for several months. Even though I am hitting the steak with a lot of different spices, it's actually very mild. It tastes like a well-seasoned steak, but ras el hanout doesn't scream out at you. I paired it with whipped potatoes and roasted veggies. Originally, I was going to caramelize onions and place them over the potatoes, but I accidentally overcooked them. I wasn't going to serve them, but my husband wanted to try them and he ended up eating them all. So they were a partial success. Why is it the easiest dishes, such as caramelized onions, are always the hardest to cook? Hmm.....

The marinade. Not pretty, but very tasty. :)

Ras el Hanout Skirt Steak Recipe
Serving Size = 3
  • 1 skirt steak (1 1/2 lbs)
  • 2-3 tablespoons of oil
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons of ras el hanout
  • 2-3 teaspoons brown sugar
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Juice of 1 lemon (or vinegar)
  1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large dish to make marinade. Place steak in the marinade and refrigerate for 2 - 4 hours, turning at least once. 
  2. Grill the steak and serve.
    Caramelized onions were going to go down the middle of the potatoes,
    but they were a failure.

    Nothing fancy here, just mashed potatoes. When I want really good potatoes, I use whole milk, a bit of heavy cream, lots of butter (probably 1/4 stick for 3 small/medium potatoes), mash it, and then whip it up with a hand-mixer for a few minutes on medium-high speed.

    I'm on a roasted veggie kick lately.

    Roasted Broccoli/Cauliflower with Parmesan Recipe
    Serving Size = 2
    • Around 1/2 head of broccoli and 1/2 head of cauliflower
    • 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    • Salt
    • Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
    • Oil
    1. Preheat oven to 400F
    2. Place the broccoli in a baking dish, but do not crowd it (usually a cookie sheet is used, but I used a glass pan). Drizzle oil over the broccoli until they are coated, but not floating in oil. 
    3. Add the garlic and salt, mix well. 
    4. Bake for around 20 minutes until lightly browned. 
    5. In the last 5 minutes of baking, I add the Parmesan cheese so that it will crisp up. 

    11 comments:

    maria said...

    My husband loves meat. I think I should give it a try. It;s time to try my spice mixture.

    SONDRA PRICE said...

    YUM! Elsa, I gave you a blog award. stop by and see the details on my blog. :)

    Alea Milham said...

    I love roated vegetables, can never get enough of them and can eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner, except for the fact that my kids often beat me to them.

    Everything looks delicious!

    Heather S-G said...

    What a tempting meal...my mouth is absolutely watering! Sounds fantastic :D So glad you shared it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

    Ruth Daniels said...

    Sounds heavenly. I'm always looking for something to do with my little jar of Ras el Hanout - and a different kind of marinade. Thanks for sharing.

    a moderate life said...

    Hi Elsa! I love to make spice mixes, and your Ras sounds delicious! Even better, I ADORE the simple preparation of skirt steak with mash and veggies. I am certainly gonna enjoy trying this meal and thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best, Alex

    mmjiaxin said...

    http://www.tiffanyandcojewellery.us.com
    michael kors handbags
    adidas nmd
    tiffany and co jewelry
    michael kors outlet
    kobe shoes
    mlb jerseys authentic
    cheap nfl jerseys
    michael kors handbags clearance
    michael jordan shoes
    jordan shoes
    true religion jeans wholesale
    tiffany and co uk
    louis vuitton handbags
    fitflop sandals
    tiffany and co
    mlb jerseys authentic
    cheap oakley sunglasses
    nfl jerseys
    Cheap Jordans For Sale
    gg

    Amanda said...

    Thanks please share this information if you are face any problem in Toshiba laptop. We will help you for more detail visit here
    cara menghilangkan jerawat beruntusan
    cara mengobati luka bernanah
    cara menghilangkan benjolan pada anus
    cara mengobati ispa
    cara menghilangkan bekas cacar
    obat benjolan di kaki

    Nuy Keroppi 910 said...

    very helpful to my article, thank you very much. sorry my permission share article here Obat kencing batu ampuh

    Unknown said...

    Thank you very useful information admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here may help :

    Cara menghilangkan benjolan di ketiak secara alami
    Cara mengobati ginjal bengkak

    Zihan Amelia said...

    Permission to share friends, articles about health and hopefully useful for all Cara Melancarkan Haid Alami Cara Mengatasi Susah Kencing Obat Glaukoma Cara Menyembuhkan Polip Hidung

    Post a Comment