Thursday, August 26, 2010

Massaged Kale and Mango Salad

I was searching foodnetwork.com and found this recipe. At first, I wanted to pair it with a Middle Eastern dish but since I've been making a lot of Middle Eastern food lately, I decided to switch to something different. I paired this salad with chicken curry with rice and it was delicious! A super easy salad with lots of citrus flavor, which balances out the spicy curry. Even my husband loved it and he doesn't like fruit with leafy veggies of any kind. Unfortunately, I had to skip the pumpkin seeds because I didn't have any, but I think they would have been a wonderful addition to the salad.


Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of kale, stalks removed, thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 cup oil (recipe calls for Olive Oil, I used canola)
  • Salt (watch out, do not over do it!)
  • 2 teaspoons of honey
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 mango, diced
  • Small handful of toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)


Directions:

Pour half of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt over the chopped kale. Massage with your hands for 3 minutes. Set aside and make the dressing by whisking the additional ingredients (minus the seeds and mango). Add the mango and seeds to the salad, pour on the dressing, mix and serve.

Note: I think it's important to taste the dressing as you are making it. I may not have added as much honey or oil. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment